Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cozumel Part 2

Day 2 in Cozumel was even more wonderful than Day 1. We woke up early and went down to the complimentary breakfast on the terrace. On a non-diving day I plan to take advantage of the omelet chef - but you have to be really careful what you eat before diving. Coffee, sodas, and many other things can kill a dive. Most people have had the misfortune to have to use the restroom when at the beach - imagine that when you have a bathing suit plus a couple layers of neoprene and scuba equipment on - oh yeah and you're in the middle of the ocean, 60feet under water and it takes 10 minutes to surface safely.

So after desayuno we made our way to the marina on the south end of the island. Everyone was so friendly! They were all helping us find the "Maximus" our boat. Blanca, our divemaster was extremely safety oriented which is great - we were also her only clients that day which was amazing. We saw little christmas tree worms (image) which retreat and hide when you swim by. Also a big sea turtle, a five-foot barracuda (image) which freak me out, and some HUGE Queen Triggerfish (image) and an incredible variety of fish and coral. On our second dive we saw a cluster of big spiny lobster (image with relative size) and Jon's favorite, the very elusive nudibranchs (image).

For lunch, we decided to do the obligatory "WOO-SPRING-BREAK-CANCUN-WOOOO!" eating experience when on a tropical island/cruise ship stop. We ate at Carlos N Charlies - a total tourist trap situated conveniently between Senor Frogs (tourist trap) and the Hard Rock Bar (tourist trap.) At CnC the balloon guy comes around and makes everyone a "hat" in the shape of various naughty objects and the shot girl comes around blowing a whistle and tweaking guys' nipples to get them to chug. I am not making this up - whatever, the food was find and I have a balloon crown sitting in the hotel room. We will post pictures of this place later this week.

Let's see - at this point I was mucho overwhelmed people-wise and pretty tired so it was back to the hotel room for a nap and a couple of hours of reading. On the way we passed one of the stranger things I had ever seen - and avon convention on the hotel terrace. A couple of hundred hispanic women milling around in pink tshirts trying out cosmetics. Avon is scary enough when I understand the language. We steered clear of this particular event.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that this was our 3 year anniversary? We (I) decided that we (I) was too tired to go for a fancy meal so we basically ended the evening with more reading and some room service nachos. Hah! Happy anniverary....snoooore.

That's okay - we went out for the big expensive meal on day 3. I'll post that tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Happy belated Anniversary! (and yes I have nothing better to do then read and comment on your blog :P)
It all sounds like a blast! Love the links to the various sea/ocean life. Fun fun!